Friday, January 06, 2006

My girls returned home safely from the Passion Conference last night. It was edifying and encouraging for both of them. It is good to have them home for a day or two before they both begin classes, next week.

A friend of Beej's wrote me awhile back, and shared her story in meeting, and getting to know BJ. She gave me permission to use it, and I pray it somehow brings you encouragement. Her name is Gizele. Beej was attending school in Carmel at the time. Here is her story:

"I emailed you a long time ago and told you that I was someday going to tell you the story of how I met BJ, which I said was one of my favorite stories. So sorry it has taken me so long... i've just been so busy lately (though, as BJ always said to me, that's still not an excuse... I smiled every time he said that) and I haven't gotten on the computer for something other than school since the beginning of the school year. Anyways, so that's why it took me so long, and I'm here now.

Before I start my story, there's something else I'll share with you. It's one of my last memories of BJ. I'm very involved in orchestra, and I was nervous about my auditions last year (my freshman year) for what orchestra I would be in for this year (sophomore year). Well, it turns out that I made the 2 highest orchestras here at CHS! (to be in the top 1, you first have to be in another one, that's why I'm in the top 2, anyways...) So I remember when I was talking to BJ and I told him the news and he was like, "that's so cool! I'll have to come to one of your concerts sometime." And I said to him, "oh no BJ... they're going to be long and boring, trust me" and he said, "no no no... it'll be fun! I'd love to come see you somtime" and that was that- he had alreay made up his mind that no matter how long and boring, he was going to come to an orchestra concert. Like I said, this is one of my last and favorite memories of him- he was always so involved in everyone else's life.

AMYWAYS, so finally I get to how I met BJ! It was March 11 2004, a Thursday- I remember that because he brought up the day sometime later. It was a typical day, and I was at lunch, buying an ice cream cone, because that's what I did every day. About 5 people or so in front of me was BJ- at that time, someone I knew only by name and face. Anyways, so I noticed that when BJ got out of the line that day, he had nowhere to sit because his friends hadn't saved him a seat at his usual table. So he sat, all alone at the end of an empty table.

Well, I saw him sit down at the end of that empty table and that made me sad. So, instead of going back to my table with my friends, I sat down right across from him and said, "Hello Brent! You looked lonely, so I decided to sit here and talk to you..." and babbled on incessantly for a few minutes or so. We had a good conversation and quickly became friends. A few days after that, I asked if he wouldn't mind doing it again- and he said he would love to. Then, every Thursday we had lunch together until the end of the year.

I know that it was in the Lord's hands now that we met. The line was long that day, but I still got in the line to get my ice cream... I was meant to sit across from BJ that day and meet him.

Meeting BJ and becoming friends with him had a HUGE impact on my life. Whenever I think of BJ, I think of Hebrews 13:2- "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Well, I feel like on that day, I entertained and angel. I feel like BJ saved me and he taught me what it was really like to live for Him.

Last year in English, we had to write a personal narrative about a significant event that happened in our lives. I wrote about meeting Bj- the very story I just told you. In fact, I referred to it as I told you my story.

Whew! so I finally got that story out, along with a few tears. Even though I know it's all good, it's still hard sometimes."


Beej had a knack for reaching out to others. It meant a lot to him when Gizele reached out to him. I remember him sharing Christ with her. He talked about it, as he always did. He was so enthusiastic in sharing the details. He passed many a email back and forth with her, trying to encourage her, and make sure she knew Jesus. She also brought encouragement to him.

Thank you Gizele for sharing with us, and letting us share in your story. I know it is very personal and precious to you.

Gizele and her family were some of the many students we met at Beej's Celebration. We are deeply moved at their outpouring of love for him.

dad


I am reposting the www.linkingup.com address as some of you have been away, and may not have seen the story on this "Voice of the Martyrs" website. Go to this link, when it comes up, click on the Kids of Courage button to see a story on BJ.

6 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good morning, how precious that testamony is, just as Bj's testamony is precious and how wonderful that both will live on in the lives of so many. Our God is so good to us. I apologise for not responding to any of your posts in some time but you are in our prayers.

Hollie goes to her new school tomorrow ( min 2 year stay) and we have the task of telling her this evening. We chose not to tell her sooner as we were both concerned as to how she would react ie: lash out or run away. This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I now understand why it's called tough love. Please keep us in your prayers today and tomorrow, these are the 2 days where we need more of God's strength and wisdom to guide us through. Then I imagine the next couple of weeks will be a roller coaster ride of emotions for me, but Kevin is prepared for it (what a sweetie). I know that the Lord has had His hand in this process from the beginning and I am so thankful that we haven't tried to do this without Him. Thank you Lord for Your love and Your grace.

In His Love
Linda Ronne
Shawnee, Ok

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that story with us! It's such a joy to hear about ordinary things that happened in BJ's life. It brings back SO many memories that I have from Peru 2005!
Love you guys and am constantly praying!!! If there's anything specific we can pray for, don't hesitate to share!! It only helps when we're down on our knees!!
Love,
Mary
Houston, Texas

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello! im julie. my good friend tara went to peru with bj and i just got back from mexico over christmas break! i came here thinking of bj and wondering if he would have been there with us. so i just wanted to let yall know i am still thinking about u guys and i have kept u in my prayers! i think i learned more about bj while i was in mexico. there was a pink spot on the satan mask and i learned what that was about. well i have to go but just wanted to tell you i was thinking about you guys!

Living for Him,
Julie Burden

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know there's been talk of writing a book regarding Beej's life, but have you ever thought about a movie?

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Higgins Family.

It continues to amaze me at BJ's courage and willingness to reach out to others and share the love of Christ.

I have to do that more...and I would like to share a very serious prayer request on that note.

A good acquaintance of ours was just arrested for the death of his wife, who he apparently strangled. They have 2 children, age 7 (a girl who turned 7 TODAY) and a son, 9. Please keep both of them in your prayers as well as the man, Steve. He was told over Christmas that she wanted a divorce and apparently, lost it while they were arguing.

My husband is distraught and we are both in shock. Our children went to preschool with their daughter, we'd been to birthday parties, and his dream of managing a golf course was coming to fruition this summer...all of it vanished in the blink of an eye. Obviously we want to pray for the wife's family as well, she was from China and I'm not sure if there is any local family or not.

I know that this blog family prays when they say they will and so PLEASE, pray for these children.

Thank you and thanks again for sharing such a wonderful story, Gisele.

Tina

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brent and Deanna,
I've heard you had suprise visitors.
My son came home with his spirit most certainly lifted and an energy I remember when BJ was still with us here on earth. Thanks for sharing.
I've just finished watching the DVD.
Again, THANKS!! I feel lifted.
I now feel I can pull out the band video clips and put something very special togeither. I look forward to sharing this with you very soon.

Love, huggs, and prayers of growing peace in your hearts and an abundance of strength to carry each of you.
Forever
Sister in Christ
Lisa
Indpls., IN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home