Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Even though I love my job, the students and music combination is my joy, I do not love the formal evening programs. I endure them and accept that it is part of what I do, but I sweat and stew over everything. Can't sleep, can't eat, get red blotches all over my neck., headaches...

After I went back to school this year, my principals graciously agreed to allow me (and the other elementary music teacher in the township) to have parent observations during the school day, just for this year. Parents were invited to come to their child's regularly scheduled music class.

Although I still got a little nervous with "adults" watching us, it is so much more natural, not to mention more fun. I'm all about fun. If music can't be fun, what is the point? I guess that sounds irresponsible, but truly if students are not enjoying it, chances are they are not learning anything either. I like to trick them into learning something!

Anyway, the observations have gone well. The parents here in Zionsville are amazing, very supportive, as I have spoken of many times. I know not everyone was able to come because of work, or getting off for several of their children, etc., but they were gracious none the less. I will miss their kids so much, I can't even imagine. Well, maybe I can imagine...

When I was thinking of not returning to school, someone wrote about the healing element in hearing children's voices, or something like that. You know children have great capabilities of melting the hardest heart? Indeed, they have been one of God's best graces to me - they really care, they say what they mean, they are kind and tender hearted, plus they just make you smile.

I cracked up one day when a little boy (1st grade) says to me "Mrs. Higgins, are you quittin'?" They don't beat around the bush, do they?

"and a little child will lead them." Isaiah 11:6

And Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3

Time flies by when kids are growing up. Parents whose kids are grown are sure to agree with me. Savor the moments. There will always be frustrations in life, don't let them get the best of you and steal your joy. Listen to your little ones, hug often, be patient but firm, pray for them and be thankful. Find comfort in knowing God loves them more than you do! It's an amazing truth.

Mom

8 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna...Thank you SO much for the God sent reminder!

Praising Him with you today!

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna,
LOL! No one, I repeat NO ONE, fully "gets it" but another music teacher! We're in the final five days of school around here, and the programs are a wrap!
I gave up evening performances YEARS ago; our job descriptions allow for daytime 'look-ins' and performances. Our parents are so supportive and turn out in huge numbers for the daytime events. Hope you're still thinking of joining us!

Janet in Jenks, OK

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna - what a true gift to the children you are!! To make their fun a priority to the monotony of preparing for "performances" that benefit those other than the children. No stage prep. No costumes. No rush. So real. So simple -- to watch them in their element during class. We need to simplify so many aspects of our lives in American families right now. I don't know if children know what it is like to just be together at home, with no agenda. Just to be together. We should try, as followers of Christ, to make more time for our children doing very little, just being together in a real and uninterrupted way. No phone, tv, cell phone. Could we?

With regard to savoring moments with our children . . . it's never too late. As my children are in their late teens, I realize the importance of hugs, listening even more intently and being available to them.

Thanks for the reminder. Peace be with you as you come out of your comfort zone. Thank you for listening to the call placed upon you and your family. You touch so many with your obedience and continued strength. He truly is being glorified!!

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Higgins,
What will we do without you next year??? Our kids just adore you and we will miss you greatly! We actually enjoyed this style of programming so much more than the big program. Really were able to see the kids interact with each other and you instead of having hair plastered down and perfect dresses on.
We will think of you every time we hear "Tidy-0" and other fun "stick in the head" kind of songs.
For those of you whose children haven't been blessed with the teaching of "Mrs. Higgins"...well, if you know Deanna you can imagine how blessed and graced-out we have been here.
We'll pray for you and your family often!

A PVE mom

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet! God is so amazing!

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, God has shown me so much in the past year about how short life is. I've lost many loved ones all too soon in the past. I've been on the opposite of your end in losing my dad at a young age. As a child, I've lost loved ones many times. But I am just now getting it as an adult.

In May of last year I had gained two dear, dear friends in the last days and weeks (sadly, only a few full days) of school, Jenn and Misty. We fellowshipped daily. Jenn and Misty had been friends for about a year already so mostly I just got to watch and absorb how magnificent they were as they laughed. Just three days after moving out of the dorms, and eight days before I left for Africa, Jenn died in a car accident. She was 18.

After three months in Africa over the summer, knowing that Beej was heading back to Peru (I was with him in '04), I returned to hear from Six that BJ was sick and in the hospital. And just a handful of weeks later he too goes home to our Savior, a teenager.

My heart to lead the youth has grown exponentially since I've been in college. One of the most aggravating thoughts of mine is that of the youth who don't take their lives on earth seriously, much less eternally. Jenn and Bj are divine examples of how life should be lived in the light of eternity. I've wanted to share their stories with any person I can, especially those younger than they. In trading letters with Jenn's dad, he has pressed upon my heart to share Jenn's story and to use her life as a tool of ministry to people all over the world.

It is my intention to use her story and Bj's to awaken the spirits of the young people around me and press upon them that time cannot be wasted. There's no telling where I may go or in what capacity I will minister, but insha' allah (God-willing) I will be blessed by God in telling the stories of these two splendid servants of Christ.

I just wanted to share.

Endless love to you,

Chris (Chrissy)

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Deanna your words today/yesterday took my mind flying back to when my children were all little. How I treasure those moments of just sitting and playing with them, watching them and listening to them giggling. And those hugs, oh how wonderful they were. I miss them now, 3 children in Australia and Hollie in Kansas,OK, but Hollie always seems to fill those empty days when I arrive for our visits with the longest, tightest hugs she's ever given. How I treasure those now, and I know if my other 3 children were here with me the hugs would be plentiful.
We need to watch and learn from our children, how simple it is to come to the Lord with such childlike faith and not get so hung up on what others may think. After all what others think of our approach to God shouldn't matter, the only heart we should be touching is that of our Father.
I take great comfort and find enormous peace in knowing that God loves my children so much more than I. Thank you for the reminder.

In His Love
Linda

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna,
Oh how I wish I had seen this yesterday! Thank you for continuing to point us to the truth of what really matters!

Lori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home