Tuesday, February 19, 2008




There is within each of us, a hunger for the things of God. An appetite not easily quenched, but as we seek to do so, we routinely substitute things that may seem to resemble godly fulfillment.
He desires that we seek Him with all that we are, with all of our energy.

I was reading a new devotional that was recently given to me. It takes passages of Scripture and digs into original Greek meanings, then attempts to reconvey in todays terms what might have been implied. I have found it most inspiring.


The entry speaks from Hebrews 11:6, which ends with the words "He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."


This caused me to stop and think about my own life and the life of those close to me. I do not mean to stand in judgment, but simply to say, I don't know how "earnestly" we truly are seeking Him. I have an intense desire to do so, but I don't always do what I want to (the whole Romans 7 thing).


If I were following Him as hard as I want to be, there would be many around me who would have life changing experiences.


When Christ moved from place to place, lives changed by His teaching, His preaching and the way He pursued the Father. He followed hard after obedience to the Father. He did only what the Father told Him to. He didn't get caught up in trivial, useless pursuits.


I do too much of nothing in between the times the Lord has provided me with the privielge of ministry. Clearly, we all need times of rest. I don't mean to imply I shouldn't. I just know that I can do better in using my time. I need to do better. He needs me to do better.
Often my nothing is a very busy time of something, just not anything significant, kingdom wise.
My hunger for Him is intense, and my longing pervasive. It just seems that at times my way of dealing with it is to almost hide out from it. To get involved in other things that draw attention away from Him. I'm pretty good at that. I want to be better at the fully investing in the pursuit of feasting on the Word.
I have been priviledged of late to spend time with brothers and sisters in Christ. They seem to be in the same place suffering, similarly.
If we fully affix our eyes on Christ, He will by His Spirit, lead us into places of Truth. Our desire for unity and fellowship with Him will outweigh our yen for the world. We will, like He did, get alone with God the Father. We'll seek Him in prayer closets, on mountainsides, on bodies of water, or any other place we can get alone with Him.
It is amazing how much we can grow from these moments alone with Him. It is curious how far we can fall if we spend this same time fulfilling our own desires. We've become pretty good at ignoring the gnawing pangs of spiritual hunger that pulse within us.
I just want to love and pursue Christ and leave these crippling desires behind. I have to surrender the fight within to Him moment by moment. This is the only way I have found to overcome the world. I'm afraid I'm not very good at it, but with His help, and seeking Him "earnestly" myself, the reward of growth and time in His presence await!
brent

5 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Cathie Martin said...

Thanks for the interview today Brent! It was great talking with you and I know our listeners at WGRT will enjoy hearing about B.J., the book, and your ministry.

~best, Cathie Martin, WGRT

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

Brent, I agree. It is something that I have been working on lately, too - how driven am I in my pursuit of God? How raw? How honest? How intentional?

Love, Kim

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

Would you mind sharing the name of the devotional?

Thanks...

Continuing on our knees for all of you!

Tammy

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Pray for BJ said...

Certainly Tammy! The book is "Sparkling Gems from the Greek" by Rick Renner

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again Brent!

Tammy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home