Monday, February 27, 2006

Those who knew BJ, knew he used "hair glue" to keep things in place. He was as particular about what specific adhesive he used as he was how his hair looked. There are several partially used products under the sink, which he grew disgusted with for various reasons... didn't hold well, gave him white glue flakes which looked like dandruff, was a foam and he had said he didn't want foam, etc.

The glue du jour was "got2b" spiking glue, for a "screaming hold." Let me just say, I don't get it. Of course, I don't need glue, spray, or brill cream. I need a hat cause my skin covered head gets cold!

BJ was funny about his hair. He got so used to my trying to touch his stiff, 'unable to move without seismic activity' hair, that he would flinch anytime I raised my hand near his head. You'd have thought he was an abused puppy avoiding the swat of a newspaper. Of course, he knew it was all in fun, but he was hyper-protective. Perhaps that was because I loved to "crunch" the stiff follicles. It always brought about a disgusted "Daaad!!!"

He tried various styles once he discovered the glue that held the way he liked. Everything from "Ryan Seacrest" to spikes, to the rare "faux hawk" just for laughs. No matter what the style, the "don't touch" policy was in effect.

BJ used the same "don't touch" approach when it came to television. He would cover his eyes or get up and leave if a commercial or show came on that he found offensive. He would hold us accountable for what we watched (who was the parent?). I found myself changing my television or movie habits based on his convictions. Initially, it annoyed me, but soon I found that it wasn't any better for me than it was him. His standards were high. He had an unusual (for his age) ability to stand firm, and not be swayed by peer pressure.

He worked on his friends in a similar fashion. He tried to do it in love, as he would question them about decisions they were making. Though I know he grew frustrated, and so did they, he tried to be consistent, and they appreciated that.

Though she has never worn a "faux hawk," Deanna has used hair gels and mousse's for some time, as well. On our way to Tulsa a couple of weeks ago, her mousse can exploded in her bag. When she opened it, she did not realize it immediately. She smelled something she could not identify, then found spots on her only outfits which would not come out. The following morning when it was time to "crud up" her hair, the can would not yield to her whim. Then she figured out what happened.

Today, she began using "got2b spiking glue for a screaming hold." She likes the way it works too. Guess who is going to get her hair "crunched?"

dad


I recently heard from one of BJ's friends, Roxie. She has a nearly three year old son, Brendon who has a liver disease called Glycogen Storage Disease (type 1). He will be three on March 20th, and has yet to spend a birthday outside the hospital. He has been home, but never on a birthday. He is awaiting a liver transplant. Doctors say he will not see age five if he does not get it. Please lift up Roxie and Brendon, as they battle for his life.

4 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roxie and Brendon -- I lift you both up in prayer to our Lord for his healing power and gentle touch.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roxie and Brendon - May the Lord bless and keep you both in his arms. Amen

Dad-Thanks for the post today. I hope that you have a great week and that the new hair gel Mom is using works.......

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless....
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Christina said...

I have not written in a while and I am sorry for that. I have been consumed with my dad's cancer. It looks like after weeks of chemo and radiation, the tumor is gone! Praise the Lord. I am amazed at how modern medicine works. Dad took a real hit with all the chemicals and treatments. He just left the hospital after over a week of being treated for pneumonia (again). He is improving daily and it is my prayer that he will be restore to full health soon.

Brent, congratulation on your new job. I will pray for you as you follow the Lord's lead. Deanna, I will pray for you too as you follow Brent on his adventure.

Thank you for continuing to share BJ with me and others. I am still amazed at his maturity and insight.

In His love,

Christina

P.s. I understand the hair thing! Don't touch it! It takes a lot of work to get it perfect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home