Friday, December 09, 2005

A heavy blanket of snow has stalled life as usual. Schools are out, businesses closed, and gleeful children rise earlier than normal at the excitement of not having to rise at all. This is a picture of winter in Indiana, a picture Beej loved.

How he pined for the days when school was called due to weather. It was always his goal to sleep in on those days, but excitement caused him to roll over, and then out of his bed. Homework was the farthest thing from his mind. Sledding, hiking, and even snowboarding were the 'entrees du jour' (sp? Beej was the french expert, not me).

We have a sledding hill here at Highland Lakes Camp, that when covered sufficiently with snow, is incredible. Steep, long, and of course a very short stopping distance, unless you correctly negotiate a narrow lane. It must be covered though, as it is a gravel drive. A few passes, and it begins ripping at frozen flesh if errors in sledding prowess occur.

Beej loved sledding there, even though he only got to do it a couple of times. We also have fond memories of slipping precariously down slopes at my brother's camp. How precious these memories of Christmases past, as we went sledding together as an extended family.

Cold tootsies inevitably gave way to runs back inside for hot chocolate by the roaring fire. We continue to look forward to more memories like these. Cousin Beth's son Matthew responded to the question "what do you want for Christmas?" with "Snow!"
I hope he gets it this year. Snow makes the holiday so much more enjoyable.

Rocketing down steep slopes on sleds, ski's, or boards, Beej loved this time of year. When he got cold, that crooked smile was amplified by frozen facial muscles. It was uniquely Beej. I will forever remember that grin. How blessed were we to know it, and enjoy it.

As you enjoy your day, watch carefully for the slippery slopes of sin. Yes, we consciously decide to enter into it, but the snowball effect of those bad decisions can be crippling. Enjoy the snow for what it is, but don't slide into the rash and raw scars of poor decision making.

What He has created is truly beautiful, and is here for us to enjoy. Remember to Praise Him, so the rocks do not cry out in your place!

Be blessed,

dad

12 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love so much the way you can turn everday life and enjoyments into teaching. Everything is truly about our Savior. Thank you so much for your words.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting! I love the snowed in Christmas times too. I love being able to look outside(when it does snow in Texas, or atleast Dallas) and see everything covered in white. Even though we are sinful by nature, for those few days weeks or months all over the world when it has snowed in different states and cities, for some reason it seems to show the pureness(sp?). Like how we are the bride of Christ. How white signififies(bad speller)pureness.

Just my spiritual thought.

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I have never sent a comment, I check this site everyday. My best friend led me to this site as she was very close to BJ. I also have kept up with another site. I read a story in the paper about a boy not much older than BJ that just found out he had cancer. This caught the family comepletely off guard. I just checked the website and things have taken a turn for the worse. The website is www.fcsc.k12.in.us/Tpage76.aspx You will have to click on the bear and read about the trials the Mercer family has been thru. I believe that you will be able to give them some encouraging words of faith and encouragement. I know your lose was sudden and you didn't know what was wrong with BJ. Their pain has been long and things are getting worse. I do not know either one of your families but I thought I would ask you to help out another family that might need it.

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent and Deanna,

I've been thinking of all of you a lot lately with the special services you have been doing and the holiday season and the emotion I'm sure that brings to your hearts. Fun memories and a longing for there to have been more. I got this in an email about how children answered the question, "What is Love?" At the end of that email was this and I thought it was a great thing to share.

Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge.

The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child.

The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.

Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said,

"Nothing, I just helped him cry."

Know that's what all of us here on the blog are doing for you. We don't need to say a word, we're just helping you cry. Love to you all.

Tina

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming to this site daily gives me such provoking thoughts that give both joy and sorrow. I joy because I can take so much from it for me and my family, to be better Christians and REALLY enjoy the time with our children. Sorrow because I can't imagine the emotions that your family must be dealing with through each minute, day, week . . . yet, I do believe it benefits all because the purpose is to Glorify God, sometimes profoundly, sometimes simply. Simply taking your children out to sled. Simply hunting for antlers lost. Simply spending time and LISTENING to the hearts of our children and guiding them to Christ through simple things. And profound things like breathing in His air, really living in Christ, walking His walk in a selfless way, singing praises with our voices and especially dying in and for Him. God bless you all, Brent, Deanna, Lauren, Whitney and BJ for ministering God's glory in all these things.
Vicky Ward

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

snow makes everything better

even thought bj isnt with yall anymore i kno he will still have those wonderful memories of his family and spenidng time with everyone over the holidays

josh


West Monroe, LOuisana

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ones,

Just a note to let you know that you are still upheld in the prayers of many who came to vicariously know and love your precious BJ. I'm a chaplain at Saint John's Hospital, which is under the auspices of St. Vincent's. My CPE class supervisor is on staff at St. Vincent's and has mentioned to me the fact that BJ and his loved ones impacted many lives at St. V's. Whether or not BJ has snow in heaven, what a blessing to know that each day for him now brings even more joy than a snow day at school. As you miss him, please know that we care.

(Rev. Gail Whitmire)

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the glories of snow days! this is our second one.. we have 9 inches on the ground here!

sorry it has been a few days since i checked in last! i am still praying for you all feverently!!

In Him.. b/c thats all I've got..
~kristin

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss the snow! It has yet to snow in Waco, and I doubt that it will. I have my picture from the Reunion in Tulsa posted on my desk about a foot from my face, and it warms my heart in the midst of cold to see God's children rejoicing in Him! I pray that you will all have a glorious day blanketed in snow, and enjoy it! I may need to take a study break to come up there! Please have a wonderful day and weekend, and may Christ be glorified!
With the prayers of your servant,
Phil

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Higgins Family,

I was telling Lynae yesterday how much this site has touched me life and how I continue to check it daily. So often words have not been sufficient to describe how God has used what you've shared to touch my heart and affect my day. My children are playmates of Joshua, Emily and Ariana, and my son Barnabas (2 years old) was the first one to pray with me when we found out BJ was ill. I have experienced a change in how I parent since I started reading your daily postings, being more aware of the time I spend with my children, really being present. And the Lord has used you all to bring healing and forgiveness in my heart towards my own parents, with whom I have had an amazingly difficult relationship with. Thank you for sharing so transparently throughout everything. We continue to pray for you all.
Miki Baxter, Norfolk, Virginia

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words that bring us so much encouragement. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We can see the love of God in your lives. You are a true testimony of His strength.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for being a faithful servant of our god and continuing to share your memories and insight. this site is a daily blessing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home