Monday, September 25, 2006

I saw something a bit unusual yesterday morning. I was ready for church early, and was waiting for the women in my home to make their final preparations, so I went to fill the car with gas. As I was sitting at a traffic light, a car coming toward me had something unusual stowed on the roof of their car.

At first, I thought my eyes were deceiving me. When the car turned left, and gave me a full view, I saw it for sure. This car was carrying a surf board.

Now this would not be unusual if we were on the right coast, the left coast, or the bottom coast. However, we are without an ocean. Yes, Oklahoma has some beautiful lakes, but those lakes have no tide to bring waves crashing into shore. What on earth would a car in Tulsa, Oklahoma be doing with a surf board?

During his 6 weeks in the hosptial, I remember a lady from California offering to have BJ come out there for her sons to teach him to surf. I remember Beej using a boogie board in the Atlantic, when we visited my sister Lynae and her family. I don't remember there being a way to use a surf board for any effective fun in a land-locked state. It is simply out of place.

Then I got to thinking about how often I feel out of place. I constantly hear television and movies malign Christians, portray us in inaccurate ways, or completely misrepresent our intentions when they speak about us. There is little understanding of our Savior, and less tolerance of His message.

Too often we allow this to defeat us, and we feel there is no way to overcome the growing swell of the world working against us. This is a tool of the enemy. He knows we are easily distracted. We live in an ADD society. Our attention spans are short, and our interest in pursuing the things of God easily derailed.

We walk out of church services motivated, only to reach home, and collapse into an easy chair, scarcely remembering what fueled the flame, moments ago. Something "better" claims our attention, and we are swept into it's current.

Until we understand, are convicted, and are ready for battle we will continue to "surf" in calm waters. There is no challenge there. There is no threat or thrill of the 'big wave.' We are not likely to get hurt or cause a ripple in the stagnant waters of apathy.

Our Christianity will have no dangerous or alluring element to it until we begin to live as Jesus did. When our lives are patterned after His, and we seek to see as He sees, we will begin to impact our world.

Until then, we are just surf boards in Oklahoma.


dad


Spirit 102.3 interviewed me about BJ's song and story on Friday. They are supposed to post the interview in it's entirety on www.spirit1023.com. For Tulsa area residents, they are supposed to use excerpts from it this week on the morning show.

21 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post today. I just attended a women's retreat this weekend where it challenged us to look at what the Lord is telling us to do, where can we serve, where can we disciple? We must step out of our comfort zone and rely on Him to lead in our actions, words and service. It is exactly what I needed to hear! God is so good! I am praying for you especially hard as tomorrow marks the anniversary of BJ's first glimpse of our Lord. May you rest in the arms of Jesus and let Him hold you and comfort you!

In His love,
Shelly
Noblesville, IN

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! i go to a school in dumas Texas and am trying to start a bible study and it is planed to start this week on thursday....but today i am in such a bad mood...satin has really got to me today...and want it to stop...lol! there are some girls here that hate me because everything i do is about god! from watching bj's funral i am most shure this is also a trait that bj had! my ministry in dumas Texas is something that i dont want to be derailed from. i am always praying for your family...what an insperation yall are!
P.U.S.H.

~shara
Dumas, Tx

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

parents..

tomorrow is the day. i'm sure that thought hasn't escaped your thoughts much in the past days and weeks. i know that on some level i'm dreading it. not because it represents something terrible..but b/c of all the emotional baggage that is involved. but God is faithful...and is going to carry me thru this. and you as well. He has assured me of as much in the past days.

i love you all. i'm praying hardcore for you. enjoy your time w/lauren and whit!

Missing him..
~kristin

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that we're thinking of you and praying for you. We love you.

-Philip.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Higgins Clan,

From here at the ¨center of the world¨ and ¨unto the ends of the world,¨your brothers and sisters are lifting you up. I am so glad that you are together and able to love on one another.

Gonna be a lot of pink going on,

Frank and Julie and Matt and Katie and Thomas in Quito (and Bryan in Phoenix)

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that it was good to see you guys the other night. Thanks for letting us come by and hang out at your house, it was quite entertaining!

And that was quite a good and convicting post.

Mallory

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you Family.
Praying in pink from
Indpls., IN

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are actively lifting you up during these hours...and praising the Lord once again for dear BJ & his incredible witness.

We continue to ask for an extra measure of strength, peace, love, and endurance for these times.

We love you,
The McMahan Family

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all have increasingly been on my mind this past week. Ten minutes ago I set my alarm for just before 3am. Know I will be - and am as I type this - praying for you. The five of you mean so much to me, and I love you deeply. God has placed you on my heart and mind, and I know I'm not the only one. Know that you are loved and being lifted up in constant prayer.

And still we wait for the Lord..

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Higgins family,

Thank you guys so much for allowing me to spend time with you this weekend. It was so refreshing to be around everyone to just laugh and have fun. Also, thank you for sharing the precious memories of bj...those moments really meant alot.

Know that you all are always in my thoughts and prayers, especially as you face the challenges that tomorrow will bring. I will be proudly sporting my pink all around campus tomorrow. His story will continue to make a difference even as he sings praises to our awesome God.

I love you guys!

~Katie

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As I sit and watch the clock and watch the time tick past my prayers and heart go out to you all. I think all the words that have previously been said today, all the emotions, thoughts and prayers, I feel there is nothing more I can adequately say, other than I am on my spiritual knees for you (the real knees don't work too well)praying that the Lord will provide your every need as this new day dawns and memories flood back from a year past.

We love you all and pray for your peace.

In His Love
Linda & Kevin

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Please know that I am and will be praying for you all tomorrow. I love you so much. The tears have started to flow once again...

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Family,
I just looked at the clock and realized what time and day it was. So I'm taking a break from my school (writing a paper on Peru - ironic?? I think not.) to tell you about the love and prayers and tears that are just flowing out of my heart right now. I can't even describe to you what I'm feeling right now. Although there is still a little sadness, that's not all of it. There's this longing to be with BJ and a little jealousy that he got to go a little sooner than the rest of us (and skip out on all these college papers!). I was talking to a friend today, and a dog walked in front of us. He wondered out loud if people are just like dogs... walking around and going about life and having no idea that there's so much more out there and God just looking at us and saying "you have no idea". It was just a cool thought... cause it's so true. We have no idea what else is out there, and how amazing and AWEsome our God is. I can't wait to find out. But until then I'm going to spend my days and minutes and seconds pointing others Christ and the same God that BJ died for.
Praying and sporting my pink tshirt today! I love you guys with all my heart.
Mary

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

know that all tomorrow you guys will be in my thoughts and prayers. i love you so much, and i am so thankful for everything i have learned in this past year. i wish i could have known bj, and i can't wait to meet him in heaven and thank him for showing me discipleship.

"precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful ones." - psalm 116:15

love *kim

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray that God continutes to be with your family today and the days that follow and comfort you as only He can. Your family's faith has been an encouragement to more people than you can imagine. Thank you for allowing us to share in your life.

God bless you all as you are being LIFTED UP by the body of Christ.

We miss you!!

Sheryl

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers this morning. This day has a bittersweet sadness that is gripping my heart. I know BJ is celebrating today with our Lord. I love you and am glad you are all together.

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
You always hit the nail on the head whenever I read your writings, and I am sure that BJ learned a lot from watching you and Deanna. It is so easy to be all excited about something...and then we forget.

I am praying for you both and Lauren and Whitney as you prepare for today. I love you guys even though you are so far away!

In Christ,
Allison Q
Martinsville, IN

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Family
We wrap arms around you with prayers.
Our love be with you.
Sincerely
Lisa Gresh/Meils Family
Indpls., IN

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent, Deanna, Lauren, and Whitney,

Our prayers are with you daily, but so much more so today. What great friends Lauren and Whitney have to make it possible for you all to be together.

I regret that we were too far away to know BJ better through the years of his life. But I also know that BJ has helped me be a more sensitive minister and servant. How we appreciate his influence that will continue to bring others to Christ.

My family and I love you guys so much and miss you,

Dan
Deer Park, TX

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey
How are you.I am still praying for ur family.I love you and I hope to see ya soon.Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home