Friday, September 22, 2006

A little over a year ago, when we returned home from the hospital, and we were without Beej, I was taken by the depth of his love for Jesus. Through his six week saga, many of you became quite familiar with this as well. Throughout the last year, we have posted some of his writings, and shared many stories about his pursuit of Christ, and his impact on others. Many of you have graciously shared likewise, about how the Lord has spoken into your own life through his.

His surrender, though uncommon, was as it should be for each of us. When we truly make Jesus, Lord of our life, we are so completely sold out to His purposes, that it is evident in all we do.

One such way that this was revealed in BJ's life surrounded the mirror in bathroom. He studied the Word of God diligently. His desire was to be equipped to share at every opportunity. Taped around the oval mirror were 19 Scripture verses that he was memorizing.

I watched these note cards appear one by one over a period of time. Some were short and to the point. Others covered more ground, and would take longer for most to recall. I was often amazed at how he could memorize things.

As an adult, that ability must be courted in order to be effective. For him, it seemed to come easily. His memory was near photographic. It served him well in school, but it served him better in witnessing.

This adopted method Beej used was something I believe he learned from his precious mother. Years ago, when I opened doors to closets, the lazy suzan, medicine cabinets, car visors, etc., there would usually be a note card with Scripture that she was trying to commit to memory.

I was humbled then as I am now. This pursuit should not be unique to them, but should be present in my own life. I have gone through times when memorization came easily. I have committed many verses and passages to memory. However, when not used frequently, they words begin to fade.

Recently, I was made aware of a good friend of BJ's who just finished memorizing the book of Philippians. THE BOOK OF PHILIPPIANS!!! B.D. you rock my world! I am so proud of you! This tool will serve you well in your opportunities to share the Lord.

I am going to begin to memorize again. I will begin with the ones I knew, but have forgotten. I was always amazed at how the Lord would bring someone into my path who needed a particular verse, shortly after I had memorized it.

It's not that I cannot minister if I don't memorize, but if I know the Word, if I hide it in my heart, I will be able to thwart more of the enemies attacks when they come...and they will come!

Thank you my love, for your example to Beej. Thank you BJ for your example for the world. Thank you B.D. for exceeding the ability of your friend, your obedience to Jesus, and your testimony before us all. I esteem you girl, because you honor our Father in Heaven!

dad


We are picking up our daughters at 4:30PM today, and get to hang out with them until that same time on Wednesday, when they will return to Indy. WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

6 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the presence of your daughters - I know you will! Daughters, enjoy the presence of your parents - and yet again, I know you will.

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

family!

maybe when you see this you will all be all together!! i love you all so much. i'm excited about the time y'all (can you tell i'm going to school in the south???) are gonna get to spend together! i'm praying fervently for you guys as we all get thru this next week.

love you. praying always.
~kristin

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

praying for you! LOVE YOU!!!!

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...

The girls were so excited about seeing you again. Two weeks ago they were talking about it: "Two weeks from this minute we'll be in Oklahoma!" You have such beautiful daughters.

Praying for you and missing you all.
Love,
brit

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

pappy, thank YOU for your daughters! i haven't forgotten about the hat (well, we know i did last winter but once you reminded me i haven't forgotten again). it's on my to do list to buy yarn! love you!!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Kelsey said...

Hello Higgin's Family!!!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I will be praying for you this week. I'm here in South Africa and I won't have internet for the rest of the week so I thought I'd leave ya a note now. I hope yall are doing well. I miss you and love you guys.

Love,
Kelsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home